“A generation is only redeemed by grace of the righteous women in it.”
Women’s League of Temple Emanu-El offers a wide spectrum of events: luncheons; a book club; museum and art tours; study groups; and much more. Here’s a quick snapshot of just some of the events, programs and activities we offer each year.
(For this year’s calendar of events, complete with dates and times, please click here.)
- Torah Fund Event – Held annually, our Women’s League recognizes the importance of supporting the Jewish Theological Seminary.
- Women’s League Membership Luncheon – Our annual luncheon is always a wonderful reunion of new friends and old as we celebrate the members of our Temple’s Women’s League.
Sybil Sanders z”l speaking with author Alana Newhouse of The Forward at Temple Emanu-El.
- Sybil Sanders Legacy Book Club – Sybil Sanders z”l had a great love of books and literature. That love lives on in our book club named in her memory. Join us each month as we read and discuss a wonderful new book. Women and men are invited!
- New Members “Chai” Tea – Our annual welcome to women who have become new members of Temple Emanu-El
- Women’s League Shabbaton – This weekend is always a time of pride as our women conduct all Shabbat services beginning with candle lighting at our traditional Friday night Shabbat dinner.
- Rosh Hodesh Study Program – Rosh Hodesh is traditionally considered a women’s holiday. Join us for a monthly gathering of Jewish learning and friendship led by Rabbi Barbara Steinberg.
- College Connection – Have a child or grandchild who’s in college? Four times each school year (Rosh Hashanah, Hanukkah, Purim, and Passover) they’ll receive nice “care packages” in the mail that include a note from the Rabbi, gift cards, a holiday themed treat, and more. Contact the Temple Emanu-El office for more information and to sign up! We love our college students!
- Crocheting & Knitting with Love – We crochet and knit afghans and lap robes for the elderly and home bound within our community.
- Caring for Women in Shelters – Women’s League collects toiletries and cosmetics and delivers them to shelters housing women in difficult circumstances.
- Charitable Contributions – Women’s League makes charitable contributions to:
- Our synagogue’s teenagers who request financial aid to attend United Synagogue Youth (USY) special teen programs or conventions
- The Alpert Jewish Family & Children’s Service Kosher Food Pantry
- The Masorti Movement, our Conservative Movement counterpart in Israel
- Kolot, a special program for domestically abused Jewish women run by Alpert Jewish Family & Children’s Service